Friday, September 21, 2012

Mega Scarf Hanger

If you're like me and you have a shamefully massive number of scarves you'll love today's project!
DIY Scarf Hanger, How to hang scarves, Embroidery Hoop craft

 It doesn't look like much but it takes care of this entire mess of scarves in my closet:


 Right now, they ALL just hang one on top of another on two nails on a wall in my closet and constantly fall down.  But we're going to fix all that!

Here's what you need:


 Materials:
-various sizes of the inner hoop of an embroidery hoop
-acrylic paint and paintbrush
-felt and ribbon
-ruler, pencil, scissors
-glue and craft glue (not shown)
-optional: sparkle mod podge, rhinestones, glitter!

Steps:
1) Paint both the inside and outside as well as the sides of all of your embroidery hoops.


I use spools of thread to keep the wet paint off the table while they dry.
2) While you're waiting for your paint to dry, start cutting narrow strips of felt the same width as your embroidery hoops.


 3) Once your paint is dry start painting glue on the inside of your hoops and adhering the strips of felt.  I decided at the last second to use Aleene's tacky glue and am glad I did.  It gave me a bit more time to work with it, get the felt in place, and not deal with any hot glue.




 4) Glue all of your hoops together at the tops.


5) Cut a length of ribbon or other trim about 15" long.

6) Also cut a rectangle of felt about 2" X 3".


7)Switch to your hot glue gun for the next step.  You'll need to make sure all those hoops are really secure.  With your felt rectangle under the hoops, layer in the ribbon and glue it all together with hot glue.




 And that, my crafty friends, is that!  Voila! You have yourself a new place to hang ALL of your scarves!


Just look at all that space.  The felt helps the scarves not to slip while protecting them from the rough wood of the hoops.

Yes, I still have too many scarves,
but now I can see them all!
I resisted adding sparkle but you could seal the outside of your hoops with some Sparkle Mod Podge, add some rhinestones, or really go to town and add glitter!  Paint the hoops a rainbow of colours, use velveteen ribbon inside instead of felt....the sky is the limit on this one.

Do you have a scarf addiction?  How do you store your stash?  Leave a comment and let us all know~

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

Your scarf collection looks a lot like mine! Definitely an addiction. My problem is I like to crochet them, plus when I see a cute one in a store I just can't pass it up.

I just use plastic hangers and drape several scarves along the straight part at the bottom, but I've also seen (on Pinterest of course) an idea to hang shower curtain rings on a hanger and then hang a scarf on each ring.

PJ @ Planned in Pencil said...

I love scarves, i might have to utilize this idea if I ever have a closet again. Oh the lament of a woman living in the worlds smallest apartment

Adorned From Above said...

This is so cute. I need to make one of these, I have tons of scarves. Great idea. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/natural-coconut-bubble-bath-and.html
I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
Debi Bolocofsky
Adorned From Above
www.adornedfromabove.com

Ana Love Craft said...

Wow Tamara so CUTE!!!
Have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs from Portugal
Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I definitely need to make one of these for my daughter. Her scarves are everywhere. Thanks for sharing the great tutorial. :)

Shirley said...

Cute idea!

My roomies and I used to use a standing coat hanger. It worked pretty well. We've also just hung them all along a railing on our upper floor. It looks really cool, but only works in a student house full of girls though!

FeltByRae said...

Super idea - I think I shall have to have a go at this as currently my scarves are languishing inside the large jug of my washstand set and I have to rummage to find them!

Stephanie said...

Really cute! And this tells me I need more scarves :)

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Brilliant--thanks so much for sharing!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...