Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Show and Tell: Handmade Undies

It's hard to believe that we've gotten to know eachother this well in just one short year, but here goes...I'm opening my undewear drawer to you....

I was out shopping with a friend awhile ago and commented that I wanted to make some quality undies because the pretty lace ones I buy at the lingerie stores never seem to last very long in the wash.  (hand wash underwear??? puhleeeeeze).

She looked at me pretty skeptically.  She knows I can make a lot of things, but apparently underwear was a bit of a stretch.  So I had to prove to her just how easy it is.

I made all this on one Sunday afternoon with bits and bobs of fabric and elastic that I had in my stash.

Kwik Sew 1286, Handmade underwear, DIY underwear, DIY panties, DIY Bra, Handmade Bra

So pretty!  So comfy!  And so easy! (They're full bottom style, but trust me, these aren't granny panties.)

I used this vintage Kwik Sew pattern.  The undies are all one piece and the bra is just two little triangles sewn onto some elastic and lace.  (being less than ample can sometimes have it's advantages)



I usually go to a Kwik Sew pattern for anything lingerie.  Their patterns usually fit great, are easy to follow, and look just like how you think they're going to look.



Don't give into the lingerie industry by buying sweet nothings that end up as nothing in the wash, make your own!

10 comments:

Jan said...

So cute. Love the tartan. I love Kwik Sew too. Their fit is always good.

Little City Farm said...

I would never have thought to make my own undies, but now, of course I must.

Evan Becky said...

Those are too cute! I may try this route as opposed to buying new (lacy) lingerie

Moois van mie said...

surely those undies are amazing and I want to now everything about them !
What fabric do you use for it ? And what do you do for the soft part between the legs ? Anw where do you get that pattern ?
Really Waw!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gen said...

Sweet! I stand corrected. You SO can make your own undies! Nice work! Have fun at the festival,

Gen

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

I rarely find the cute/quality/price undie triptych. I'm seriously considering making my own. The problem is finding a decent bra pattern. Drafting my own pattern is far down my To Make list.

annies home said...

love that they are homemade I can imagine the cute fabric and prints that could be used

Amy said...

This was great motivation! I have tons of vintage undie trim dying to be used...and being less than ample helps fo sho! I have plans to make some cute triangles as well:)

Chris said...

Hi Tamara, what a clever young lady you are. Good job. Unfortunately it would take a lot more material to make them for me, it wouldn't be bits and bobs, LOL I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

Cygnet said...

I would LOVE to make my own undies, but have such a problem determining what size pattern to buy for any piece of clothing! According to some pattern companies measurements I need a size 16. Yet when I lay out the pattern and measure it from seamline to seamline it's always way too large..I ended up with such a problem with a dress...made a size 12 instead of a 16 and it was still 2 sizes to big. I wouldn't have a clue where to start with making a bra or undies!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...